The stage is set for the big CMA Awards nominations announcement tomorrow at our offices in Nashville! Be sure to catch the live stream of events starting at 9:15 AM Eastern/8:15 AM Central time at CMAawards.com.
By the way, see the wooden CMA Award trophy on stage in the above photo? It’s a permanent installation at CMA offices in Nashville, and is a replica of the first CMA Award trophies made of walnut wood and given to winners in 1967.
Today’s trophies are made of crystal and handed out in 12 categories to artists, producers, video directors and songwriters.
Here are a few facts about the CMA Award trophy:
- Originally designed to resemble a radio chart bullet
- A limited supply of walnut wood in 1983 encouraged a transition to crystal
- The Award is 15 inches tall and weighs 7.5 pounds
- It is made of hand-blown crystal in Florence, Italy, with final assembly by Francis & Lusky in Nashville, Tenn.
- The CMA logo appears on a tri-level, die-struck medallion in polished bronze
- The winners’ names and their CMA Awards category are featured on a satin brass nameplate
Learn more about the history of the CMA Award trophy and the annual ceremony.
Connect with CMA: